Saturday, November 21, 2009


The last few days have been interesting to say the least. I'm sure most people know by now that at 9:30pm Thursday night I started having contractions - again. They were pretty consistent until about 12 hours later when they got further apart. No matter how much walking I did (and I walked A LOT), no matter what else I tried, they eventually got further apart and even more sporadic. At my doctor's appointment at 3:20pm, I still held onto a tiny bit of hope that he would send me over to the hospital to give me a jump-start of pitocin and I'd be meeting my little girl in a matter of hours. Instead, I found out that there had been absolutely no change since Monday. Seriously?? Eighteen hours of contractions resulted in no change??? How could this be? I fought back tears as the scheduler gave me my "walking papers" and instructions to show up at the hospital on Tuesday night to begin a 2-day induction. Once I got in the car though, I couldn't hold back any longer and I just started crying.

Yes, there are waaaay worse things that could have happened. My baby is still healthy, I am still healthy, but I was emotionally and physically worn out. I think I deserved a few moments of crying. Don't judge.

After a much needed night of sleep (thanks to the makers of generic Tylenol PM), today has been much more enjoyable. I never thought I'd make it to my due date with Lillian, especially with three separate occasions of false labor. But here I am. It's after 9pm on November 21st, and she is showing absolutely no signs of wanting to make her appearance.

Like I said, today was much more enjoyable. Mom and I took Edwin to the mall and met Auntie Katie, Uncle Brian, and Anthony. We had lunch, the boys rode the carousel, and we walked around a lot. I was able to take a nap when Edwin did, my husband got off work early (always a bonus!), and my mom & sis kidnapped me for a few hours to get PEDICURES!!!! Seriously, if you are in need of a pick-me-up, a pedicure is the way to go for sure! After a relaxing foot rub and some neon-pink toenail polish, we went over to the fire station to have Lillian's new car seat safely installed in the mini-van. Then it was off to San Felipe for dinner with the whole fam. See? It was a great day!

I'm so thankful for my family and friends. So thankful for the encouraging words, the prayers, the interest in how I'm doing. Just know that if I don't answer your text message, if I don't pick up the phone, it's nothing personal. I'm just not up for talking about this over and over and over again. If and when things finally pick up again (either naturally or from the induction), you can be sure that there will be plenty of facebook updates and blog posts from my sis or my sis-in-law. In fact, Katie will be updating her blog a lot more often than I do, so you might want to head over there for info.

This was the brightest pink polish I could find in the entire place (in honor of my little girl)


Katie Mathews Photography said...

Although we're not holding baby Lillian sure has been a couple of nice days getting to hang out 2 of my favorite ladies - Mom and Sis :) Luv u!

Anonymous said...

It has been wonderful being together and that's what family is for; and our newest lady will be with all of the Balow Bunch ladies very soon...her mama, her grandma, and her excited aunties, Katie and Jenny! God is GOOD! Grandma Mary

The Cornwalls said...

reading your post made me totally re-live my own experience! did you copy me?! anyway, hopefully it won't be long now! i am thinking about you!!