Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Marking a Moment







One year ago today I was baptized as a Christian. That night was absolutely incredible. I was excited, I was a little bit nervous, and I was thrilled that so many people had come to share the moment with me. I wish I had words to describe it, but I could just feel God’s presence so clearly…it was a moment that I specifically recall wanting to tuck away…for those days when things don’t seem so clear.

Right before everything got started, Mike met with all of us (12 or 13 I think) that were going to be baptized. He made sure we understood what would happen, and then we all prayed together. One by one, we made our way to the edge of the pool. I took off my glasses and waded into the water where Mike was waiting. My wonderful friend Cindy read the testimony that I had prepared ahead of time. She started crying just a few sentences in, so of course I was crying! As she finished, Mike said “it is upon your declaration of faith that I now baptize you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit”. With that, he leaned me back and dunked me under the water. As I came up out of the water, everyone in the room was clapping and cheering (my small group was the loudest!!!)
For the rest of the night I swear it didn’t feel like my feet even hit the ground. The whole thing was just so powerful – publicly declaring as an adult the fact that my life belongs to Jesus Christ. A bunch of us went to O’Charleys afterwards to continue the celebration and even Edwin joined in the festivities.

A couple of weeks ago I was listening to a sermon given by Perry Noble (pastor of New Spring Church in Greenville, SC) about baptism. He was saying that adult baptism is not a denial of your past, not a denial of any ceremony during your childhood. It’s affirming what your parents prayed for when you were sprinkled as an infant. Then he said this (and it was so good I listened a couple of times to get the quote right). “Baptism comes after salvation. It doesn’t matter how many times you got baptized before you became a Christian – all you were was a wet sinner.” I totally agree. That night was not me denying how I was raised…in fact, I’m grateful for growing up knowing about God. However, it wasn’t until the past few years that I’ve had a personal relationship with Jesus, and that’s why I got baptized.
Happy November 18th!!

3 comments:

Tay's Mom said...

thank you for sharing this! last week, i downloaded the appropriate files from pc3's site to submit for my own baptism. i've held onto them and read them, but that's all. i wonder if i'm "allowed" since i have SO much to learn. i'm ready and i so want to do this, but there's just that holding me back. this post made me realize that i AM ready. it's OK that i don't know everything. (ashley confirmed this to me... i think she wanted to pop me on the forehead :) ) i may not know everything until i meet Him, but i am dedicated to Him nonetheless!

and, congrats to you!!!

Grandma Judy said...

I was Baptism,and excepted Christ as my Savior at the age of around 12. I remember the night very well,some one was speaking to me and I knew it was the Lord,nervous and scared He help me to take the first step out and the rest was easily. Im` so thrilled for you,and others who are ready to take there first step.

Life Glimpsed: The Denglers said...

that was a sweet sweet night. i remember being so happy that you were telling everyone that you loved jesus - and i remember edwin's cheeks were about as red as tomaters ;)