Monday, August 11, 2008

Got Me Again!

Last week, we received an email at work notifying us of an upcoming Blood Drive. The last time I donated was September 2007, so I decided to go ahead and sign up. I know this might seem like an ordinary thing to do…donate blood. But for some reason, today’s experience hit me on a much deeper level.

God is so amazing!!

Yes, I already knew this. But donating blood today just proved it once again. Have you ever thought of how complex the human body is? I mean, really thought about it? I was a Biology major in college, so I had plenty of exposure (no pun intended, really) to the human body and how it works. How in the world can people honestly think that humans just came out of nowhere? It almost makes me laugh because the idea is so ridiculous. The detail with which God put us together is mind boggling. Take blood for example. Here’s just a tiny list of its functions:

-Supply of oxygen to tissues (bound to hemoglobin which is carried in red cells)
-Supply of nutrients such as glucose, amino acids and fatty acids (dissolved in the blood or bound to plasma proteins)
-Removal of waste such as carbon dioxide, urea and lactic acid
-Immunological functions, including circulation of white cells, and detection of foreign material by antibodies
-Coagulation, which is one part of the body's self-repair mechanism
-Messenger functions, including the transport of hormones and the signaling of tissue damage
-Regulation of body pH (the normal pH of blood is in the range of 7.35 - 7.45)
-Regulation of core body temperature
-Hydraulic functions

Not only that, but God created us in such a way that we can DONATE a part of ourselves to help somebody else! And of course, there’s the ultimate way blood has been used in all of our lives. Jesus’ blood was shed for us to cover our sins.

As I sat in the Blood Mobile with a needle in my arm, I just kept thanking God over and over for the opportunity to donate. The whole process was so smooth & painless, you’d hardly believe needles were involved.

****************************************

Romans 3:25 (New International Version)
25God presented him as a sacrifice of atonement,[a] through faith in his blood. He did this to demonstrate his justice, because in his forbearance he had left the sins committed beforehand unpunished—


Ephesians 1:7 (New International Version)
7In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace



3 comments:

Jenny | The Balow Bunch said...

I totally 150% agree with on this post. Yesterday, I had a great conversation with my friend Michelle yesterday....and we were saying how amazing it is that technically we're just made out of molecules and cells just like everything else in the world. Yet thanks to God, we can breath and move and do things, and most importantly, we have souls that think and feel.

Life Glimpsed: The Denglers said...

ok - did you really know all that stuff about blood or did you look it up on wikepdia? and i had NO idea that maxine was a christian. i'm totally thanking God for THAT today ;) love the post. and floating around inside of me is somebody else's blood via transfusion during prego delivery. aaah blood. thank God for blood -

Katie said...

Some of us can't give blood and wish we could....but I'm glad you were able and "enjoyed" it :)