Tuesday, June 30, 2009

A Look Back

When I was pregnant with Edwin, my sister made me a website (this was before blogger) to help keep family and friends in the loop. Just for fun, I looked back at that website today to the entry I wrote the day after we found out we were having a boy. I thought it might be interesting to post my thoughts from November 8, 2006. Enjoy!

I knew it!!! I knew all along that we were going to have a boy. Now I have the ultrasound pictures to prove it!

So yesterday was the big day. The day I had been waiting for. We were finally going to see our little peanut again and maybe find out the sex. Ed took the day off of work so he could come to the appointment with me. The weather was really gloomy--rainy and overcast. But you could have fooled me! I didn't pay attention to any of it. When we got to the doctor's office, we had to wait for about 10-15 minutes. Now I realize that in the grand scheme of things, this is a teeny tiny speck of time. But it seemed to last FOREVER! Finally, our ultrasound technician, Nancy, came to get us. For those of you who know me well, you know I love to read. So ever since I found out I was pregnant, I've been reading every bit of information I can get my hands on. Everything I read about ultrasounds said they make you drink a whole bunch of water so your bladder is full. From what other women have said, this makes the test pretty uncomfortable, as I'm sure you can imagine. So it was to my delight and surprise that Nancy had me go to the bathroom before we started. To a pregnant woman, these are magical words! When I went into the exam room, Ed and Nancy were bonding over pictures of her German Shepherds...he's always on the lookout for another dog!

She had me lay on the table--actually pretty comfortable. I got to lay back and watch a 32-inch television project the ultrasound images...Ed was right next to me. I felt like we were at the most exclusive premiere of our baby's debut. Ok, moment of truth. She squirted about a gallon of gel on my stomach and started the test. First words out of her mouth were along the lines of "well, we may have you come back for more images, because this baby is in the most awkward position!" What?? Did this mean we weren't going to see what we had come to see? Evidently, our little peanut was nice and snug in a corner of my belly....arms and legs extended over the head. Sleeping. Now this shouldn't have come as a big surprise, considering Ed and I LOVE to sleep! But I had even tried the "coke trick". I drank a whole can of coke on the way to Wilmington, hoping to ensure a good show. But no such luck. Also like his parents, this baby was stubborn. It was still amazing to see the images though. We saw the heartbeat, and Nancy turned on the doppler so Ed could hear everything (I had heard this at previous appointments). For the next 30 minutes, we tried everything we could to get peanut to shift around. Nancy said this was one of the most difficult scans she had done in a long time. Guess she earned her paycheck that day! She was very nice though and explained everything in detail. Kidneys were functioning well, spine looked perfect, cute little feet....We got a lot of pictures for the scrapbook too! After about 35 minutes, peanut decided to be a little more cooperative. Nancy told us she "thought" it was probably a boy, but she couldn't say for sure. After a couple more minutes, things were wrapping up. She wanted me to come back in 2 weeks for another ultrasound, just so she could get more specific measurements for my chart. I asked her if we should keep our mouths shut about it being a boy--we didn't know how certain she was. One more quick look....and oh yeah, she said "I'm 100% positive you're having a boy."

Are you kidding me???? I was right!!! It was such an amazing feeling to actually know that this little creature (who could still fit in the palm of my hand) is our son. Even typing that sounds a bit strange. We're going to have a son. Edwin Dewey Boso, II. And to top it all off, I get to go back in two weeks to see him again! For anyone who doesn't believe in a Creator, just think about the miracle of a baby. There's no way mere humans came up with this. God truly is amazing and we are so blessed to be having this child. I'll keep everyone posted as things progress.....

No comments: